Welcome to the Fifth Grade Research Assignment Webquest. The goal of this assignment is to learn about various disabilities, illnesses and diseases. As a follow up to our novel Wonder, you will research your assigned disability, complete a webquest (worksheet below), create a trifold brochure with information about your disability, identify challenges a person with that particular disability would encounter at our school,
You will complete parts of your assignment in Media, Technology, and Composition classes, as well as some work on your own.
Step 1: Research disability/disease
Step 2: Answer Webquest Questions
Step 3: Write an Outline
Step 4: Write a Rough Draft
Step 5: Disability Day at School
Step 6: Choose Important Facts from Disability Day at School and Research
Step 7: Create a Brochure in Lucidpress (located in Google Apps for Education)
Click your disability below for links to research.
Friday, October 28: Project introduction in Media
Wednesday, November 2: Research and Lucidpress for brochure in Technology
Friday, November 4: Research in Media
Tuesday, November 8: DUE - Webquest to Ms.Jennifer
Wednesday, November 9: Research and Lucidpress for brochure in Technology
Tuesday, November 15: DUE – Outline / rough draft of brochure to Ms. Jennifer
Work on school accessibility survey in Composition
Wednesday, November 16: Google Sheets with school accessibility data in Technology
Tuesday, November 29: DUE – Final brochure + School accessibility survey results
Each student will research a topic.
Fifth Grade Composition and Technology
Disability Webquest – DUE Tuesday, November 8
Using the resources provided for you on millhoppertech at http://www.millhoppertech.com/Fifth-Grade-Research-Disabilities.php , research the answers to the following questions. Please write your response in COMPLETE and CORRECT sentences, unless otherwise indicated.
You will have class time in Media and Technology to work on this, BUT you may need to devote additional time.
My assigned research topic is __________________________________________________ .
- What kind of disability is this? Circle one or more that apply.
Congenital Physical Mental Learning
2. How common is this condition? (How many people in the United States or the world are affected?)
3. How is it diagnosed? (How does a doctor or other professional determine a person has this disability?)
4. How does someone acquire this disability or disease? Does it develop on its own, and / or is it the result of injury or illness?
5. Describe how this disability or condition affects the person. Are there different levels of severity? Can it affect different people in different ways?
6. What challenges might someone with this disability or condition have?
7. What accommodations, tools, or technology can help a person with this disability?
8. What are some organizations that help support people with this disability?
9. Who is a famous or important person who was affected by this disability? Write a brief summary of their life, challenges faced, and how they adapted or overcame those challenges.
10.What other information did you find that was interesting, that wasn’t covered elsewhere?